Sunday, July 11, 2010

GORGEOUS!!!

That was the "word" for wave 11 today.

4:30am - Wake up and get ready for my first race of the year!
5am - awesome hubby and daughter drop me off at the shuttle stop.
5:30am - got my tri things all laid out and filled my tires.
6am - started to get REALLY nervous! Feeling like maybe I shouldn't do it, but
still really excited to try it out.
This race was different for me - the swim was twice the distance. 1/2 mile!
I had practiced, but a 1/2 mile looks a lot different in a pool than in a lake.
It freaked me out!
6:30am - started walking to the start line... and really started to doubt myself.
7am the first wave jumped in a they were on their way.

The excitement was high - 2,000 women in one area. 90% of them newbies!
All different sizes and shapes. I watched Sally Edwards (pro athlete) high-5 everyone
before their wave and started to get excited to get my shot to swim.

7:36 was my start time... 100 women in my wave - all royal blue caps and bundles of nerves to boot.
Sally got us all lined up in the water - and gave us a great pep talk! "Gorgeous is what you are!
You are all hear willing to make your lives better and stronger! You are Gorgeous!"

The countdown began - 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.... I waited for the faster swimmers to go... and then jumped
in and went full steam ahead. It was warm water and pretty clear. The wind was on our side!
My normal time in the pool has been 24ish mins. My time today was 19!!! I can't believe it!!!

The bike was the leg I was most worried about - turned out to be a GREAT ride! I loved it!
Felt like I was flying - nice long stretches with pretty views on each side. For the first time, I was actually passing people. Of corse, I was being passed too... but wow - I wasn't in the back of the pack for once!

Once I got back in from the bike - I started off on the run. Right off the bat I felt out of sync, but kept going. Tried to calm my breathing down - but it wasn't happening. It was so HOT! No shade on the whole race. I made it a mile before I had to stop and walk. I was disappointed in myself since I had be working the hardest on running while training - but I literally hit a wall and ran out of gas. It was the worst feeling. I wanted to go faster but couldn't. One foot in front of the other... run, walk, run, walk... finally the last 1/2 mile I got some strength back to pick up some speed and finish.

I had guesstimated I'd finish around 2:10-2:15... but today was my day! 1:57!! Couldn't believe it.
I hadn't finished under 2 hours in a loooooonnnnngggg time!

Long way to go for my future goals... but I'm back on track. Yippy!!!

It was a gorgeous day - super happy with my finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment